Workers’ Compensation and Personal Injury Protection: Important Facts

Posted By: benzer | August 15, 2017
Workers’ Compensation & Personal Injury Protection

When you think of Personal Insurance Protection and Workers’ Compensation, you most likely envision two different types of coverage. Personal injury protection or PIP insurance is an extension of car insurance products that compensates any injury incurred in a car accident — regardless of who was at fault. It covers medical expenses, pharmacy expenses and in some cases, lost wages and other damages. On the other hand, workers’ compensation or Workers’ Comp is a form of insurance that provides wage replacement and medical benefits to employees injured during employment.


Differences between Workers’ Compensation and Personal Injury Protection.


For instance, car accident injuries incurred while driving during company hours or as part of your job responsibilities entitles you with two compensation claims. One from your PIP insurance as the injury occurred while driving, and another from your workers’ compensation as the injury took place while working.


What If I Was at Fault?

Irrespective of you being the cause of the accident, you still receive compensation from your PIP coverage. Personal injury protection provides a “no fault” coverage. Meaning, it honors your claim regardless of who was at fault. Workers’ compensation also offers a “no fault” coverage. Hence, victims receive support no matter who caused the accident, as long as it happened during working hours.

What If I Wasn’t at Fault?

If the injury caused in an accident where the other driver was at fault, then you can file at least three injury claims. Two of these would be against your car insurance’s personal injury program and your job’s workers’ compensation program. The third claim would be against the driver who caused the accident.


In case the accident was caused by a faulty car design or car component, you might be able to file a case against the vehicle manufacturer or the dealership where you bought the car from. If the accident was caused by a roadside hazard, you can seek compensation from your car insurance provider, either through a collision claim or a comprehensive claim.


Which Claim Should I File First?

Ideally, you should file your personal injury claims with your PIP insurance and your workers’ compensation as soon as possible. However, it’s advisable to file the workers’ comp claim first.  Worker’s comp allows 30 days to file the claim.


Even so, don’t delay filing your PIP coverage claim. You require the accident compensation to pay for your medical treatments. On exhausting the amount received from this insurance, the workers’ comp system coordinates with the insurer to provide you with the benefits you deserve.


If your workers’ comp refuses to provide you with an accident compensation, your PIP insurance provider will have to take legal actions to force them to cooperate. Moreover, the two providers take care of such cases and your involvement is not necessary.


Benzer Pharmacy is a premier provider of workers’ compensation and Personal Injury Protection prescriptions. The pharmacy dedicates itself to deliver prescription medication to injured workers, auto accident victims, and others. Benzer provides high-quality service to customers with challenging claims that big chain stores are unable to bill.

If you liked reading the blog, please like and share it on:

, , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *